Externally Aided Projects
At present, six States have ongoing State-wide rural water supply and sanitation projects with assistance from the World Bank:
Uttarakhand Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Project
Single Village Schemes (SVSs) have been completed in 746 habitations and implementation stage work is in progress for Multi Village Schemes (MVSs) in 107 habitations. 78,133 persons have benefitted from the water supply schemes completed under the project. Project interventions have enabled 17% GPs (against MTR target of 15% GPs) in achieving the open defecation free status. Scheme implementation is currently on-going in 40% project habitations, with the remaining 60% habitations (under various stages of the scheme cycle) to be completed during the period September 2009 to March 2012.
Punjab Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Project
1240 villages have been covered under IDA SWAP Program up to February 28, 2014 against the coverage target of 1,200 villages under the PRWSS project. Villages being covered with IDA finance have a high percentage of private connections. 100% houses have been covered with water supply connections in 295 villages, 70-99% connections have been provided in 541 villages and in 404 villages where number of individual water connections is less than 70%, IEC and HRD Specialists posted in DPMCs are making efforts to increase the number of water connection by creating awareness and conducting capacity building trainings of GPWSCs. Due to high number of private connections, O&M most of the IDA funded schemes have become financially sustainable . The state has made substantial progress in installation of reverse osmosis plants for drinking water from their own funds by installing them in 1811 villages (upto February 2014). Community sanitation scheme implementation has commenced in 98 villages against the target of 100 villages. Due to non availability of land for sewage treatment plants two villages selected for sewerage have been dropped. 7 sewerage schemes have been commissioned upto February 2014. Training sessions are being conducted in groups for the members of the GPWSCs in procurement, financial management, operation and maintenance. O&M manuals have been provided.
Maharashtra Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Project
In this project, by September 2009, exit process in 784 GPs had been fully completed, another 1961 GPs were expected to complete the exit process by March 2010 and in the balance 277 GPs, where the schemes would be completed by March 2010, it would take a few more months after March 2010 to complete the exit process. Therefore, the Jalswarajya Project has been extended for one year i.e. upto September 2010.
Karnataka Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Project
In Karnataka, the second Karnataka Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Project, Jal Nirmal was ending during 2009. They had further requested for the third project under this programme. Appreciating the encouraging results emanating from the implementation progress of the ongoing World Bank assisted Jal Nirmal Project (Feb. 2002-June 2009), the World Bank had conveyed its willingness to continue its support to the development initiatives of the State Government in Rural Water Supply and Sanitation sector in Karnataka as a repeat project, mainly to address the issues of water quality affected habitations in Karnataka.
Andhra Pradesh Rural Water Supply and Sanitation Project
This Project has commenced in January 2010, with the signing of the Finance Agreement. The project is to assist Government of Andhra Pradesh in improving rural water supply and sanitation services through progressive decentralization, community participation and enhanced accountability. It supports the building of institutional capacity for implementing, managing and sustaining the project activities, along with sector development studies for informed policy decisions. The project also has components for improvements in water supply and sanitation services in the project habitations through new infrastructure or rehabilitating and augmenting existing schemes, integrated with source strengthening measures and sanitation programs. The project aims to cover about 2600 habitations across 6 districts.